Sayonara Nihon!


This was taken during my 5 minutes of fame at Naha airport. These girls were from a middle school in Osaka. They literally bum-rushed me for all sorts of pictures and this was the last one. We tried to get my girls in but they were too shy.

I treasure all of my experiences in Japan but it feels amazingly great to be home. From now on I will be posting to my other blog - American Gaijin at www.american-gaijin@blogspot.com. So check that out for stories about all of my current culture shock, jet lag, vacation pics and comparisons between Japan and the US. Please continue to post questions to this blog as I will be monitoring it indefinitely. Thanks for reading and sayonara!!
 Posted by Picasa

Comments

letti said…
I'm glad you're safely home...do you have another blog for your adventures back home? Take care!
Kidney Girl said…
Hi Letti :)

Ya, I had a new one made at www.american-gaijin.blogspot.com. I haven't had much time to update it but there are a bunch of pics on there already :) See you there :P
Anonymous said…
konnichiwa, i was just searching around for japanese info and i found your site. pretty impressive blog.

i recently got back from japan for only a month, can't compare to your 4 years, but living there was so great!

anyways, welcome back to the states.
Anonymous said…
Will you marry me?
Kidney Girl said…
We would have some talented babies! ;)
Anonymous said…
I am stationed on the USS ESSEX, Sasebo Japan. Thought I would comment on your post regarding crimes. The amount of issues and pressure and restrictions of liberty are enough to make me separate from the service when I am complete with my time in 1-2 year. Here is a Gist of how it goes in the navy, and in Japan. Most sailors are young and dumb and some of us older. However unaccompanied tours = 3 years in Japan that we are forced to be here out of A–school or boot camp. So liberty… I have to have permission to leave the ship (I have a liberty card that says what I can do). Right now they just restricted all E-3 and below from leaving the base. They cannot go into town. I have a feeling, so like in Yokosuka, we too in Sasebo will be required to have a written plan of action to leave the boat. In Yokosuka E-6 and below even married, have to have a paper saying where and what they are doing, and if they deviate it has to be changed on paper in person, or by phone. I am younger, 23, however I do not account for the guys that mess up. We are all young and make mistakes. But now I may and have been in the past effected by issues. I live in town I contributes to the community by helping the economy of Japan by my spending and buying goods, rather than order online from American stores, I do comrels (volunteer to clean up places and paint them), engage in the local community. But than get liberty restrictions imposed on me due to the actions of others. It’s disappointing, and yes people do things bad but you cannot control the actions they do. I know the navy is not like this everywhere, but it does not matter. The mere fact I have the restrictions now which only get stricter each year. A lot of people over here I understand it but do not represent them, do not want to stay in because of the type of treatment we have. In the states a liberty card program would be deemed unconstitutional and would end in many lawsuits. They are lucky we are overseas. Forced to be here for 3 years. Luckily I picked this command, being the top 1% of my a-school. But most are forced. Got to go... work....

Popular Posts