Nato - quite possibly the most vile snack in the entire world.
Nato (rhymes with lotto) are soybeans that were fermented for several months until they turned into a stinky, yet highly nutritious food loaded with isoflavones. They are a foul, slimy mess. The nato I’ve seen comes in snack-sized shrink-wrapped packages and when you open it, it takes a moment for the smell to assault you but when it does it smells like vomit that has been curing for a while. When you move the beans around with chopsticks or whatever you see that the slime is pasty, shiny and stringy all at the same time and totally looks like mucous. I already have an aversion to stinky foods such as garlic, onions and kimuchi so I couldn’t bring myself to try it.
My friends say that nato is served on Japanese airlines instead of bags of peanuts. I can just imagine the whole cabin filling up with that stench. nato is also served with white rice or put in miso soup.
My friends say that nato is served on Japanese airlines instead of bags of peanuts. I can just imagine the whole cabin filling up with that stench. nato is also served with white rice or put in miso soup.
Comments
When I was in Japan I remember everyone made it out to be the grossest food ever made, but when I tried it I was not sent running to the nearest restroom or anything as I was expecting. lol. I will agree that it is weird as heck and slimy and I do not plan on ever eating it again, but still, it wasn't death defying. ^_^