Super Typhoon Nabi will be a big wash in Okinawa

Super typhoon Nabu is the first typhoon this year to get close to Okinawa. This is rare indeed because thinking back to the past few years, by now we would have had about 3. Unfortunately at this hour it seems like the super typhoon is turning north and may simply skirt by the northern part of the island
Why unfortunately you ask, after everything Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia are dealing with after Katrina? Well for Japan, typhoons, even category 5 "super typhoons" bring nothing but extra days off of work. Yesterday afternoon, the top gusts of typhoon Nabi were 203Mph. This would have been the strongest storm to hit Japan in years. With that said, Japan has built its houses and buildings to withstand typhoon winds. Every time I have gone outside after a typhoon I have seen absolutely no damage and typhoons by nature are much stronger than the regular hurricanes the East Coast of the US sees. A hurricane Katrina-like storm is pretty much expected once a year and the smaller typhoons that come our way during the year are still way stronger than a typical hurricane.
I lived in NC for 5 years and have experienced strong hurricanes and their damage first hand. I can understand poor areas of the US not being able to deal with these storms but I still can not believe that people who own beach houses have not reinforced their houses like people in other countries do! I guess they like renovating year after year. If you are going to live in hurricane alley or build houses in that area make sure they are built for these storms that occur every single year!!
So anyway a front is pushing the storm away from us slowly but surely. I was hoping for Monday AND Tuesday off this week! I'll write again after this storm passes.
Comments
Goodlife to you.
The low pressure in our area is absolutly KILLING the arthritis in my lower spine. (2 blown discs from 2 years ago...the area has become completly stiff with arthritis but the pain has been rather minimal over the past year or so.) I can't imagine the pain if this storm had gotten any closer :S
Brah